Where do we go when things get too tough and get to be too much for us? How do we relax and keep our focus on Jesus?
Think about how Jesus got away and knew how to keep his focus on His Heavenly Father. We must follow the example of Jesus and get away to focus on our Heavenly Father as well. When we maintain our focus, we are better able to minister and meet the needs of the children and families within our ministry areas.
Use this object lesson to teach Children’s Ministry leaders how Jesus got away and knew how to keep his focus on His Heavenly Father.
- Materials: a can opener, a can, a pencil sharpener, an unsharpened pencil, a key, a lock, a bottle, and a bottle opener
- Choose 4 leaders to each hold on to one of the following items: the can opener, the pencil sharpener, the lock, and the bottle opener.
- Choose 4 more leaders to choose one of the remaining items in the bag: the can, the unsharpened pencil, the key, or the bottle.
- When each leader chooses an item, ask him to choose which of the other objects his item goes with – which object the item works, opens, or operates.
- Once the leaders decide the correct item and object, talk about how appropriately each item matches the correct objects. It would be silly to try to sharpen the pencil with a bottle opener or unlock the can opener with the key.
We all know that a key is used to unlock a lock and a pencil sharpener is used to sharpen a pencil. We wouldn’t use a key to sharpen a pencil or a pencil sharpener to unlock a lock. Each item has a specific purpose. We each have a specific purpose and a job to do. God created each one of us for a specific job and He equips each one of us with the proper tools and skills to perform the duties of that job.
Sometimes we need help to do our jobs. Jesus needed help for His jobs, too. Where did He go for help? Where can we go for help?
Luke 5:16 explained that Jesus decided to go away to a quiet place and talk to His Father. Jesus knew where to go to ask for help. He knew He needed time away to listen and pray.
As often as possible Jesus withdrew to out-of-the-way places for prayer. We all must learn where we can go for quiet time and learning.
How do you get away to listen and pray?
(please share in comments below)