Two necessary practices of leaders which I find are often confused or viewed as the same, are equipping and developing. These are two of the most important pieces of the puzzle to growing your people & your ministry.?What is the difference?
Dan Reiland, in his book Amplified Leadership, gives the best explanation I’ve ever seen. I would strongly encourage you to get this book, but let me share briefly how Dan distinguishes between these two practices:
- Equipping prepares someone to accomplish a specific ministry function or task.
- Developing invests in someone primarily for his or her personal growth.
- Equipping is primarily transactional.
- Developing is primarily transformational.
- Equipping changes the ministry.
- Developing?changes the person.
Which is more important? Neither. Both are critical, necessary and contribute greatly to the growth of your leaders, your team and your ministry.
Dan addresses both in detail in the book, which I would consider to be the best ministry practitioner book I’ve ever read (and I’ve read a lot!). You’ll have to get your copy to see what Dan says to further explain the differences, and to see his step by step plan for doing both.